Located about 28 miles to the east of Houston is the city of Katy, which occupies a unique position at the intersection of three Texas counties: Harris, Fort Bend, and Waller. A former agricultural town, Katy experienced rapid growth with the opening of the Missouri-Kansas-Texas (MKT) Railroad, which was frequently referred to as “The Katy” (from the “KT” portion of the MKT name) and was eventually the basis for the name of the area. Today, Katy is a thriving city that has retained its small-town charm, offering a high quality of life with a booming economy, outstanding schools, and plenty of recreational opportunities.
It should be noted that the Greater Katy area which surrounds the city of Katy is not actually part of the city; the City of Katy is often referred to as “Old Katy,” while most of the Greater Katy area can be found to the east of the city borders, towards Houston.
- The historic MKT Railroad Depot and Red Caboose have been lovingly restored by the Katy Heritage Society, and can be found at the Katy Railroad Park along 1st Street. The Depot now serves as an Information and Tourist Center, and is also home to the Railroad Museum.
- There are several museums that showcase various aspects of Katy’s rich history: the Katy Heritage Museum, with displays of vintage farming equipment and artifacts from Katy’s agricultural and pioneering history; Katy Veterans Memorial Museum, featuring the G.I. Joe Museum with artifacts from every foreign conflict involving the United States; and the Katy Heritage Park, operated by the Katy Heritage Society, with its beautifully-restored historic homes.
- Katy Mills Shopping Center, located at the intersection of I-10 West and Pin Oak Road, has over 175 stores that include high-end fashion brands like Kate Spade New York, Michael Kors, Vera Bradley, Saks Fifth Avenue, Last Call by Neiman Marcus, and more. Numerous dining establishments can also be found inside and around Katy Mills.
Schools in the city of Katy are administered by the top-performing Katy Independent School District, with over 70,000 students enrolled in 60 schools. Schools located in Katy include the following:
- Katy Elementary School
- WoodCreek Elementary School
- Zelma Hutsell Elementary School
- Katy Junior High School
- WoodCreek Junior High School
- Katy High School
Certain information contained herein is derived from information which is the property of, and copyrighted by, Houston REALTORS® Information Service, Inc. All information provided is deemed reliable but is not guaranteed and should be independently verified. IDX information is provided exclusively for consumers' personal, non-commercial use. This information may not be used for any purpose other than to identify prospective properties consumers may be interested in purchasing.